Ok first things first.. this is not a “traditional dum biriyani” recipe.. or restaurant style recipe, its a simpler adaption we do at home. I will do a “traditional hyderabadi style dum biriyani” another time. Some steps are eliminated and we do our own modification. So this is a quick hearty Biriyani you can try when you don’t have time or patience to do a proper “recipe book” style biriyani. We mostly do it on weekends when we are running short of time for a full lunch prep.
So you will need :
(I made the biriyani which will serve 4, so you can see the quantity n decide how much ingredients you want to use) :
1. Chicken : Marinated in salt,turmeric,chilli powder,ginger garlic paste,curd (approx around 300gm)
2. Basmati Rice : 2 cups soaked in water for 30 mins (or what ever your measuring utensil is, should be enough for 4 people)
3. Dry whole garam masala (as shown in pic)
4. Onion – 2 big julienne cut
5. Tomato – 1 big
6. Ginger garlic paste – 2-3 tsp
7. Green chilli – 2 cut to small pieces
8. Oil to cook
9. A big pot with a lid
10. Some dough (made with atta) to seal the lid of pot
11. Spices – Garam masala powder, jeera powder,turmeric, red chilli powder, salt
12. Water – enough to cook the rice
1. Take some oil in the pot and add onions fry for some time, then add the chillies and ginger garlic paste and cook for 3-4 mins
2. Add the chicken and spices and cook for 5-7 mins. Then ground the whole garam masala and add it, cook for another 6-7 mins.
3. Add the tomatoes and cook for another 2-3 mins.
4. Drain the rice and keep aside.
5. Add the rice to the pot
6. Add the water and mix everything well and add salt to taste.
7. Take the dough and place it at the edge of the lid as shown in the pic
8. Take the lid and place it firmly on the pot so that it is sealed properly without any loose edge. Cook for 15 min in low flame.
So do what ever you have to do in those 15 mins, like a quick manicure or play some games with your kid. Then just take out the lid and your biriyani is good to eat. Make some simple raita, it will go nicely with that. So this is one version of Biriyani, and we have some different versions. But I promise will make the Restaurant style biriyani for you all soon, so that you can make it easily at home